Monday, July 7, 2008

Shackleton's Stowaway by Victoria McKernan

Shackleton's Stowaway by Victoria McKernan is about Perce, a stowaway on Ernest Shackleton's ship, the Endurance, during the 1914-1916 antarctic expedition. Just one month after setting out on their expedition, the ship is enclosed in ice. Eventually, all 28 men have to abandon the ship to live on an ice floe. They watch the ship sink before their eyes. They use three life rafts to get to Elephant Island (barely). Shackleton decides that he needs to go for help if they will have any hope at all. He takes a team of 6 in the only remaining life raft and heads toward South Georgia Island, the place from which they left nearly two years before. Perce, through all of this, works hard at every job he's assigned. He chips ice away from the ship, works in the galley, tends to the sled dogs and even rows the life rafts. By the time they are rescued (after four failed attampts by Shackleton's team), all of the men are in tough shape. Every single one of them makes it home from Antarctica, however!

This book is based on a true story. All of the events in the story actually took place. Victoria McKernan made up some of the dialogue and moved time around a bit to make it a good novel. She used the sailors' journals and interviews with remaining family members to support her work of historical fiction. I loved this book. It was exciting, funny, heartbreaking, suspenseful, and touching. I found that I was really pulling for the men, but Perce especially, as they found ways to work through this disasterous experience. This is one of the 2008-2009 Maud Hart Lovelace Nominees.

1 comment:

Reeve said...

I read this book for my historical fiction project. I really enjoyed this book. I loved how the author wrote about actual facts. I just recently went to London and stopped at the Royal Geological Society's exhibit on Shakelton. I got to see his actual coat hood and all of the photos from the Antarctic. I can't believe how these men faced suffering from frostbite! They were very brave. They ate lots of fresh meat that prevented scurvy. This book was one of the best historical fiction books that I have read.