Monday, July 12, 2010

Truce by Jim Murphy

Truce by Jim Murphy is the true story about a very special incident that took place during World War I. World War I was basically fought between Germany and the "Allies" - A group of countries united against Germany. In the fall of 1914 The allies and Germany faced off along the border of France. Both sides dug long and deep trenches from which the soldiers fought, but also slept, ate, and lived. By Christmas of that year both sides were getting tired. So, in many places along this line of trenches, men from both sides came together in the middle the field in between (No Man's Land) to enjoy a temporary truce and celebrate Christmas together.

This was an amazing story. I don't know very much about World War I, and this book gave the perfect amount of background information so I understood the reasons all of it happened. I am amazed that these men were able to set aside their differences and literal hatred for one another to celebrate something so important. It gave many of the soldiers an opportunity to realize that the men they were fighting against were just like them.

No comments: