Monday, July 21, 2008

The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer

The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer is the sequel to The Sea of Trolls. This book follows Jack on another adventure as he attempts to save his sister, Lucy, and return the water to Bebba's Town. Jack has many hardships and meets many interesting creatures, including hobgobblins, yarthkins, elves, picts and an evil half-kelpie who has named himself king. Accompanied by a whiny slave from Bebba's Town and a recently freed slave named Pega, Jack encounters his old friend Thorgil, and they all continue the adventure together.

I really enjoyed this book! It took me a little while to get back into the story, as it's been over a year since I read The Sea of Trolls, but Nancy Farmer gives plenty of clues that help with that. There is a really interesting appendix at the end of this book that describes many of the interesting elements of this story, including the different religions present, symbols used by the picts and Thorgil's shipmates, and background information about St. Filian's Well and Din Guardi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this book very enjoying. I personally like it more than "The Sea of Trolls." I like this book because it was exciting and kept me on the edge until the end. I would rate this book a 9/10 stars because it was really good, but still could have been better.