Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ghost in the Machine by Patrick Carman

Ghost in the Machine by Patrick Carman is the sequel to Skeleton Creek. In this book Ryan and Sarah continue working together to solve the mystery of the dredge and the mysterious secret society, The Crossbones. Ryan is still recovering from his injury at the dredge that he sustained just before the first book takes place. He tells the story of his and Sarah's escapades through his journal, while Sarah tells it through videos she emails to Ryan, using secret codes. Between the two of them, they put together several different clues which lead them to a very secret meeting of the remaining members of The Crossbones. Of course, Sarah sneaks in to the meeting place and sets up a camera! What they learn sends them back into the dredge, one final time before the town burns it down. Little did they know, they wouldn't be the only ones visiting the dredge that night, seeking the secrets of The Crossbones.

I liked this book just as much as the first, Skeleton Creek. I love the way the author tells the story through Ryan's journal and Sarah's movies. I was able to download all of Sarah's videos from iTunes (for free!) so I could watch them on my iPod when it was time in the story. This helped my enjoyment of the book a lot. When I read Skeleton Creek, I'd have to stop reading and find a computer to watch the videos at http://sarahfincher.com. Having the videos on my iPod made it portable! It is definitely necessary to watch the videos as they appear in the book - they are vital to your understanding of the story.

No comments: