Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Dark Side of Nowhere by Neal Shusterman

The Dark Side of Nowhere by Neal Shusterman is about Jason, a normal teen - typical parents, friends, enemies, and even a girlfriend - until one day he finds out things aren't as they seem. When his classmate, Ethan, dies, Jason things it's odd that Ethan's parents don't seem sad, actually seem rushed during the funeral. Just after that, he finds out that many other kids aren't subject to "monthlies". In fact, only the people who attend Jason's church receive the painful shots. Finally, when the school's custodian gives Jason a strange and powerful glove/weapon and advises him to meet in the deserted end of town, Jason realizes something is terribly wrong. When Jason figures out what is actually going on, he's torn between the comfortable life he knew and the exciting and terrifying life that may lie ahead.

I've had this book for a long time, but just picked it up for the first time as my sci. fi. pick for this month's genre study. I wish I had read it before because it's AWESOME!! I enjoyed it so much I couldn't put it down all weekend! Science fiction is not typically my favorite genre, but alien stories rock.

1 comment:

Christee said...

I heard this was a good book but I tried reading it and I got kind of bored. I usually like Neal Shusterman's books, but I didn't like this one as much. I also didn't like the book "Downsiders" by him.