Sunday, August 9, 2009

Things Hoped For by Andrew Clements

Things Hoped For by Andrew Clements is the sequel to Things Not Seen. It's been 2 years since Bobby turned invisible and back, and he's been studying music seriously. He comes to New York to try out at some prestigious music schools and meets Gwen. Gwen has been living with her grandfather in New York and going to a private performing arts school on a scholarship. It is her senior year, and she is focused on her try outs at Juliard and other music schools. Her dreams of playing her violin in an orchestra become jeopardized when her grandfather mysteriously disappears. He leaves a very strange message on their answering machine one afternoon, a week away from the Juliard try out, and simply vanishes. Thankfully, Gwen meets Bobby, who now goes by Robert, and the immediately get along. She convinces him to stay with her in her grandfather's house so she doesn't have to be alone - just until grandfather comes back. Unfortunately, things go wrong a few days before her big audition. Grandfather comes back (sort of), a strange invisible man begins stalking Robert, and Gwen's Uncle Hank keeps trying to force her grandfather to sell the house - and he's getting tired of being put off.

I liked this book, but not as much as I liked Things Not Seen. I really liked Gwen, and I liked finding out what happened to Bobby and Alicia. The twists and turns in Things Hoped For were CRAZY and unexpected. They added a lot to my interest in the story.

1 comment:

Christee said...

I agree, I didn't like this book as much as Things Not Seen. I thought it was kind of boring, and I stopped reading it shortly after chapter 8.