Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fire from the Rock by Sharon Draper

Fire from the Rock by Sharon Draper is set in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957, two years after the United States made it legal to integrate all public schools. Little Rock has not yet integrated the schools, but is preparing to do so the following school year, despite strong resistance from many white people including the governor. Sylvia has been chosen to be one of the first African American students to attend the previously all-white high school in Little Rock. She wrestles with this decision throughout the story. Her brother and sister are viciously attacked, her parents' jobs are threatened, and even her friends begin to turn their backs on her as a result of her decision to attend the new school. Sylvia desperately wants to do something good in the world, but wonders if she is brave and strong enough to withstand the consequences of her decisions.

This was a very compelling story. I have heard of the "Little Rock Nine," the nine students who were the first African American students to attend Central High School, but I didn't know much about the selection process. Sylvia and her family were fictional characters in this story, but the events surrounding the integration of Central High School and the violence and racism toward the black people of the community were very real. This is one of the 2009 - 2010 Maud Hart Lovelace nominees.

1 comment:

Amira A. said...

I think this book is very well wrote. The beginning is hard to get through,but it is like that in all the good books. In my mind this was not a good book,because the hold thing seemed like the start, BORING. If you like this book I am truly sorry but that is my opinion. I think they did not have much action and juicy detail to leave you hanging at the end of every chapter so you want to read more. The book is an MHL and I really don't know why I did not like it. I won't tell many people about is,because I did not like it. I hope that this book is read,but only people who like this in a book. I might try to read it again in my own time and see if that makes it any better, but I don't know if I can get through the beginning again.