Friday, March 13, 2009

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt is about Winnie Foster, a 10 year old girl living in the late 1800s, who feels smothered by her family. She sits on one side of her family's iron fence dreaming of running away to make a difference in the world, but is too scared to do it. One day Winnie ventures past the gate and into her family's wood. There, she meets Jesse Tuck. Surprised to see anyone, Jesse and his mom, Mae, and brother, Miles, panic and kidnap Winnie. They are afraid that she will share their secret - that there is a natural spring on the Foster's property that will allow the drinker to live forever. They take Winnie deep into the forest and tell her their story, hoping to make her understand why she can never tell anyone about the magic water. Little do they know that someone has been searching for the Tuck family for many years and actually overheard them tell their story to Winnie.

I love this book. I have read it many times and every time I find new details and ideas that I never noticed before. I have seen the movie, and while I also like the movie, it does not match up well enough with the book to suit my taste. This is a great book and one I would recommend to anyone!

2 comments:

Reeve said...

I'm surprised that there are no blogs on this. We read this book as a group. I thought that this book was really interesting. I read it as a class last year, however, I did not like it as much then. This time it really engaged my thinking and I enjoyed the book much more! My favorite character was probably Winifred grandmother because even though she didn't play a main part I thought she was a very hilarious and energetic women.

Anonymous said...

i really liked this book because when Winnie finds Jesse and when they go to his house and she sleeps their and they have so much fun in the pond (swimming), fishing (but not catching) anything) and the man in the yellow suit comes and tries to take back Winnie. the yellow man gets hurt and Mae goes to jail and they rescue her and leave Winnie in the jail cell. than they go and come back two years later Winnie dies.


your student,

Ashley Huynh in reading 2 EXTRA CREDIT!!