Friday, March 13, 2009

Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman

Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman is a graphic novel about a Jewish man and women surviving in Poland during WWII. In this story, The Jewish people are represented by mice and the Germans by cats. The story starts out with Art Spiegelman (representing the author) interviewing his father about his experience during the war. The story goes back and forth from past to present - the past being told by Mr. Spiegelman and the present through the eyes of Artie, his son.

I really liked this book. It is the first 1/2 of the story. It ends just when Mr. Spiegelman and his wife are sent to Auschwitz after year of hiding from the Nazis. The second 1/2 of the story is a separate book called Maus : A Survivor's Tale Volume 2: And Here My Troubles Began. I haven't read this one yet, but I will. Graphic novels are not my favorite genre - I either forget to read the words or forget to look at the pictures, and then I'm lost! I found this book easier to understand. The story is funny and sad at the same time. I believe it is meant for a more mature audience, however, because of some violence.

No comments: