Friday, January 2, 2009

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

The Arrival by Shaun Tan is a beautifully told story of immigration through pictures. This book is told entirely through graphics - absolutely no text. The pictures are breathtaking! The world in which the main character lives is fictional, but this story truly captures what immigration must be like. I'm sure that my students will think this is an easy book to get extra credit for reading because of the absence of text, but it will really get them thinking. Reading is thinking, after all!

1 comment:

Reeve said...

I like to draw and I thought the illustrations in this book were awesome! The author put us in the man's shoes by drawing the everyday animals or pets very different from anything we have now. It made me feel like the man did being in a different place with a different language.