Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Ghost of Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

The Ghost of Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen is the sequel to Touching Spirit Bear. In Touching Spirit Bear Cole and Peter were sent to Alaska by the Native American leaders in their Circle as a way to heal and work through their inner demons. Cole was a violent bully who beat Peter badly enough to give him a head injury. Peter, after the beating, became suicidal and explosive. Eventually, they became friends on the island. In the sequel, Cole and Peter return from Alaska to use what they've learned in the real world. Both have a hard time adjusting. They are both plagued by bullies, anger issues, and a desire to return to the island, where life was easier. Eventually, they find something to work toward and put all of their positive energy to use.

I loved Touching Spirit Bear when I read it several years ago. I was excited to read the sequel, but was disappointed. I found it a little "preachy" and somewhat boring. I had a hard time investing in the ideas Peter and Cole had. Some of the ways the boys dealt with the bullies at their school seemed very unrealistic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the first book in this series, and I think that the second one might be good, although the review was a bit on the negative side.

I really liked this book review, because you talked about what YOU thought about it... this was definitely NO summarization!

GREAT JOB!!
-A Student
Olson Middle School