Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Last Invisible Boy by Evan Kuhlman

The Last Invisible Boy, written by Evan Kuhlman and illustrated by J. P. Coovert, is Finn Garrett's story - literally. Finn has written down and illustrated all of his thoughts about himself, his brother, his mother and father, his best friend Melanie, Henry the cat, and "The Terrible Day That Changed Everything." You see, Finn is disappearing. His black hair is turning white, his pink skin is turning white... Finn is sure he's turning invisible. This all started the day after The Terrible Day That Changed Everything. Finn isn't quite ready to share much about The Terrible Day That Changed Everything until the middle of the story or so, and even then, it's hard for him. It has to do with his dad and why he's not around anymore. It takes a while for Finn to recover, but when he does he slowly begins to turn visible again.

This was an awesome story. It was really sad, but also funny, charming, sweet, and thoughtful. I really liked getting inside Finn's mind and seeing the world through his eyes. I loved Finn, but I think my favorite character was Derek, Finn's younger brother. He was NOT the typical "annoying" younger brother, he was more like a trusty sidekick you could always count on - almost like a best friend, but one who looks up to you. My favorite part of the story was a sort of funny, but not funny, mistake Derek makes when he accidentally says "Dad" instead of "Henry" (the cat) and what happened as a result. I also really liked the way the author had me guessing about what really happened to the boys' dad - I wasn't really sure until the middle of the book, and even when I finally figured it out, the author still didn't come right out and describe it for several more chapters!

No comments: